Monday, October 31, 2005

The Way Things Work Out

So, today I've been thinking a lot about my life. Mostly I have been captivated by the way God works things out for our good, but ultimately for HIS glory. My friend Joanna is the source of my thinking. We were talking about our friendship and how strange it is! Seriously, Joanna and I have never lived in the same town, we've never gone to the same school, and we've never spent longer than 10 weeks in the same place together. How is it that we can have such a great friendship? It's fun how God binds our hearts to others...and how He can do that with complete strangers who spend most of their relationship separated from one another.

Anyways. I want to reflect on the year 2003-2004 of college. That fall, God radically shook up "my plans" and made them His own. I had high hopes of a new relationship blossiming into the "it" relationship, of spending my next summer learning how to cook, and of enjoying the rest of that year living with three of my bestest friends. But...God had other things in mind. And it's interesting that when He breaks our hearts to break us down, He builds us back up stronger than ever before.

When that relationship ended, I felt the rest of my year/life would end! (Yes, Im overdramatic.) But the VERY NEXT DAY God revealed I was not alone, and He revealed that my plans were not His plans. I received a phone call from Noehren Hall asking me to take a fill-in Resident Assistant position on third floor. I had been put on a waiting list when I applied in the spring, so I had pretty much closed the door on that being an option. Immediately I thought "God, this is you. What are you doing in my life?" So I said yes to that and no to living with my friends. Two days before, I said to myself "If this relationship doesnt work out, Im applying for SMR next summer." Well, I also turned in my application and was accepted as a student leader that very week! And that started it all...

If I had not become an RA, I would not have been stretched in my faith. I would not know how to relate, love, and live with people so stark-opposite of me. I would not have gained the heart I have for the lost. I would not have grown in deep friendship with the women in my life. I would not have decided to live with Amy Schnell the next fall. And I would not have gone to A330 in March where I met Joanna. And finally, we would not have met at SMR and become lifelong friends. (PS-I also happened to "accidentally" meet my husband-to-be there as well!)

Isnt it amazing how God takes one season of suffering or loss or heartache and uses it to rebuild us into a stronger person in Him than we ever would have guessed? God is so good to us!

Today I have been reminded to wait on God. When I am in a season like that again, I want to trust that God has something in store for my life, and He has a way to use me to give Him greater glory than my plans would allow for. As I keep processing even now, I would not have so many things: the lessons I learned as an RA got me the job that I have right now; I would not have learned about the sin in my life if I had not lived with Amy; I would not have the deeper relationships with my parents that I have now; I would not have the heart to give and give freely if I hadnt met or seen this displayed in my in-laws. I would not have the greatest friends in the world that we've found in Joni and Derek-they give and would give anything for us; I would not have a niece who teaches me more about childlike faith and love and discipleship (i hope that one blossoms as the years go by) than anyone in my life; I would not have married the love of my life; I would not know God in the way I know Him now; I would not BE who I am today without God changing my plans into His own.

"Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness." Psalm 115:1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home